barrfly

Default Can I modify a Hyperlink with a function?

I have a column of several thousand cells that have different hyperlinks
in each one. I would like to set up a column adjacent to this column
and have the hyperlink address in this new column. I have found that
there is not a paste special function that will do this and the excel
"CELL" function does not work either - although it should. Any
suggestions? a VBA solution would be just fine as well.

--
barrfly

Excel User - Energy markets
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4141
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375695

swatsp0p

I am able to simply copy/paste a cell with a link and the link appears
in the new location. Try it.

Right click on the link, select Copy. Select your new location, right
click, Paste.

Good Luck

--
swatsp0p

swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375695

barrfly

Does not work. I am not trying to duplicate a hyperlink. My cell has
the text "Yahoo" in it and the hyperlink address is
"http://www.yahoo.com". I want to put the "http://www.yahoo.com" in
the text of the cell adjacent to the original cell and I do not want to
have to modify the hyperlink manually to do so.

--
barrfly

Excel User - Energy markets
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4141
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375695

badpuppie

copy, edit, paste as hyperlink, if that does not work, try edit, paste
special, values

--
badpuppie
badpuppie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15453

barrfly

that does not work.

--
barrfly

Excel User - Energy markets
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4141
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375695

badpuppie

odd, it works on mine, perhaps try text to columns, then the same thing

--
badpuppie
badpuppie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=15453
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375695

barrfly

You are able to copy a cell that has a hyperlink and paste the target
location of the hyperlink with the edit paste special values? When I
do that it simply pastes the display text and not the hyperlink
address. I want the hyperlink address.

--
barrfly

Excel User - Energy markets
barrfly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4141
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=375695

Dave Peterson

You can request enhancements by sending an email to:

Saved from a previous post:

One way to extract those URL's from a hyperlink created via Insert|Hyperlink
is with a userdefinedfunction.

Here's one that may help:

Option Explicit
Function GetURL(Rng As Range) As String
Application.Volatile

Set Rng = Rng(1)

If Rng.Hyperlinks.Count = 0 Then
GetURL = ""
Else
GetURL = Rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address
End If
End Function

So if you had a hyperlink in A1, you could put =getURL(a1) in that adjacent
cell.

Be aware that if you change the hyperlink, then this formula cell won't change
until your workbook calculates.

Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM
Hyperlinks using R[1]C[1] and offset function in its cell referenc Elijah-Dadda Excel Worksheet Functions 0 March 5th 05 03:31 AM
hyperlink function Mary Excel Worksheet Functions 7 November 24th 04 01:58 AM