moonfang

Default Why won't data sort correctly in Excel

i have a worksheet that i need to sort A-Z. I have sorted it in the past but
now it will not sort. There are labels at the top of the worksheet but when
i click Data--sort, the window that comes up shows "column A" instead of
"Name". Also the labels end up down in the worksheet as they are being
sorted also. there are no empty rows or columns.
Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

moonfang wrote:
i have a worksheet that i need to sort A-Z. I have sorted it in the past but
now it will not sort. There are labels at the top of the worksheet but when
i click Data--sort, the window that comes up shows "column A" instead of
"Name". Also the labels end up down in the worksheet as they are being
sorted also. there are no empty rows or columns.

------------------

It sounds like you did sort the headers as part of the data. You can
manually cut/paste them back to the top.

When you first open the sort control window, at the bottom are two
buttons. "My list has header row", or "has no header row". You've
apparently got the wrong one selected.

Good luck....

Bill
moonfang

"Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from addre" wrote:

moonfang wrote:
i have a worksheet that i need to sort A-Z. I have sorted it in the past but
now it will not sort. There are labels at the top of the worksheet but when
i click Data--sort, the window that comes up shows "column A" instead of
"Name". Also the labels end up down in the worksheet as they are being
sorted also. there are no empty rows or columns.

------------------

It sounds like you did sort the headers as part of the data. You can
manually cut/paste them back to the top.

When you first open the sort control window, at the bottom are two
buttons. "My list has header row", or "has no header row". You've
apparently got the wrong one selected.

Good luck....

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I have already tried that. I am still getting a part of
another column at the top of the first column. I don't understand why that
is happening. And why did it sort correctly forever and is now being
stupid????

moonfang wrote:

[...]

----------------------

Have you tried reading Excel's help system on the Sort command? It
might point something out.

At this point I can't really guess what you're doing wrong without
looking over your shoulder. If you mark what you want sorted with the
mouse, and you're convinced that exactly the right stuff is marked (no
more and no less) then it will sort properly in my experience. And if
you incorrectly sort once by marking the wrong check box, then Excel
will try to be helpful and remember that way of sorting in future until
you do it right again.

On the other hand, if you've accidentally mis-sorted it once (as I have
also done in the past) then you've got junk rows mixed in your data
block and resorting it won't necessarily get rid of the junk. You've
got to clean up the block first by some means.

Good luck...

Bill
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 06:58:07 -0700, "moonfang"
wrote:

I am still getting a part of
another column at the top of the first column. I don't understand why that
is happening. And why did it sort correctly forever and is now being
stupid????

Most likely because your data has changed.
--ron

cbrock

I have had the same problem also. Know exactly what you are talking about.
For some reason, Excel is not automatically recognizing the headings. I have
not found a solution, but have found two ways to work around it.
1. When creating the worksheet, I try to paste from one that works
correctly. OR
2. In my case, I have two heading rows, so I highlight the entire range I
wish to sort including the header row I want to sort by. Then I go to sort.
At the bottom I check "header row". It then recognizes the first row in my
selection as the sorting criteria.

"moonfang" wrote:

i have a worksheet that i need to sort A-Z. I have sorted it in the past but
now it will not sort. There are labels at the top of the worksheet but when
i click Data--sort, the window that comes up shows "column A" instead of
"Name". Also the labels end up down in the worksheet as they are being
sorted also. there are no empty rows or columns.

cbrock

Did find MS Knowledge Base #135717 on the subject with the autoselect
recognizing the headers. Has to do with format of alpha and numeric. Still no
fix and their solution is the same as my work around previously posted.