Kary P.

Default How to create a default footer for all my spreadsheets?

Using Office XP -

I work with Excel every day. I like to insert a footer containing the
filename, date, and page #'s on each of my spreadsheets. Is there a way that
I can create a default footer that will appear on each of my spreadsheets
(especially new spreadsheets) without having to go into each spreadsheet
individually like I'm doing now?
Kary P.

Thanks for the response, but I don't have a Normal.xlt file.

Before I posted my question here in this discussion group, I tried using
Help in Excel. I tried following the instructions to "Save styles to use in
new workbooks", but it's not working.

Could you possibly give me detailed directions on accessing Normal.xlt -or-
is it a file I need to create?

The organization I work for used to use Corel's Quattro Pro spreadsheet
software. We recently began transitioning to Excel. Quattro Pro allows a
default footer to be used with all spreadsheets. I'm trying to find
something similar in Excel.

Thanks for your help - I really appreciate it!

"Barb R." wrote:

You would have to add the default footer to the Normal.xlt file.

"Kary P." wrote:

Using Office XP -

I work with Excel every day. I like to insert a footer containing the
filename, date, and page #'s on each of my spreadsheets. Is there a way that
I can create a default footer that will appear on each of my spreadsheets
(especially new spreadsheets) without having to go into each spreadsheet
individually like I'm doing now?

Dave Peterson

You can create a new workbook template and store it in your XLStart folder. Set
up the headers/footers (and everything else you want).

This workbook should be saved as Book.xlt (as a template).

Every workbook that you start (by clicking on that New Icon) will inherit all
the settings that are in book.xlt.

Do the same thing, but save it as sheet.xlt. Any new worksheet that you add to
existing workbooks will inherit the settings that are in sheet.xlt.

I only have one worksheet in book.xlt (set up the way I want). I used windows
explorer to copy that book.xlt to sheet.xlt in the same folder.

(Excel doesn't use a normal.xlt (as you've found out). But MSWord can use a
document template named Normal.Dot. I think that Barb was slightly confused.)

--

Dave Peterson