Kevin H. Stecyk

Default XL 2003: Search & Replace

Hi,

I am accustomed to highlighting a group of cells and then Control H for
Replace. The "replace" feature only works on the highlighted cells.

However, in XL 2003, it searches within the sheet or workbook, not just the
highlighted cells. Is there some setting I can change this "feature" back
to the way it was in prior versions of XL?

Thank you.

Kevin

AndyBear

Kevin,

Although the search options available state that only Sheet / Worksheet
searching are permitted, if you have first selected the cells you wish to
search in, then the search is limited to the cells you have selected -
provided you leave the 'Search Within' option as 'Sheet'.

So, basically, set the 'Within' option to 'Sheet' and do what you used to
do. Fortunately, Excel remembers which 'Within' option you had set last. And
'Sheet' is also the default. So you only need to set it to 'Sheet' once.

--
"May the Word be with you."

"Kevin H. Stecyk" wrote:

Hi,

I am accustomed to highlighting a group of cells and then Control H for
Replace. The "replace" feature only works on the highlighted cells.

However, in XL 2003, it searches within the sheet or workbook, not just the
highlighted cells. Is there some setting I can change this "feature" back
to the way it was in prior versions of XL?

Thank you.

Kevin

Dave Peterson

I bet you hit the "Find All" first--just to see what it found.

When you did that, your original selection was lost. You can either reselect
the range or trust excel to do the right thing (and don't hit "find all" first).

"Kevin H. Stecyk" wrote:

Hi,

I am accustomed to highlighting a group of cells and then Control H for
Replace. The "replace" feature only works on the highlighted cells.

However, in XL 2003, it searches within the sheet or workbook, not just the
highlighted cells. Is there some setting I can change this "feature" back
to the way it was in prior versions of XL?

Thank you.

Kevin

--

Dave Peterson

Kevin H. Stecyk

Dave Peterson wrote...
I bet you hit the "Find All" first--just to see what it found.

When you did that, your original selection was lost. You can either
reselect
the range or trust excel to do the right thing (and don't hit "find all"
first).

Hi Dave,

I am not sure what I did, but I got a surprise when everything was replaced.
I tried it again this morning, and my result was what I had expected.
Obviously I did something wrong last night.

Thank you!

Kevin