Ramana Murthy

Default Make a text file from Excel workbook

Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book?

By stating "formatted", I mean that the output file should be having a
pagewise report header, column headings etc. Like those reports which we
generate using COBOL, Dbase etc.

Regards,
Ramana Murthy

Frank Kabel

Hi
not supported as build-in function. Why not create a PDF file?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Ramana Murthy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book?

By stating "formatted", I mean that the output file should be having a
pagewise report header, column headings etc. Like those reports which we
generate using COBOL, Dbase etc.

Regards,
Ramana Murthy

Harlan Grove

"Frank Kabel" wrote...
not supported as build-in function. Why not create a PDF file?

"Ramana Murthy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book?

By stating "formatted", I mean that the output file should be having a
pagewise report header, column headings etc. Like those reports which we
generate using COBOL, Dbase etc.

It *is* provided by a built-in facility. File Page Setup allows the user
to specify multiple line headers and footers (Header/Footer tab in Page
Setup dialog). Print titles allow for column headings (Sheet tab in Page
Setup dialog). Whether it's a good idea to use Excel or any other
spreadsheet to generate such reports is another matter entirely.

Frank Kabel

"Harlan Grove" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"Frank Kabel" wrote...
not supported as build-in function. Why not create a PDF file?

"Ramana Murthy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Is it possible to create a formatted text file from Excel work book?

By stating "formatted", I mean that the output file should be having a
pagewise report header, column headings etc. Like those reports which we
generate using COBOL, Dbase etc.

It *is* provided by a built-in facility. File Page Setup allows the user
to specify multiple line headers and footers (Header/Footer tab in Page
Setup dialog). Print titles allow for column headings (Sheet tab in Page
Setup dialog). Whether it's a good idea to use Excel or any other
spreadsheet to generate such reports is another matter entirely.

Hi Harlan
but the goal was to produce a text file and just saving such a file as *.csv
or *.txt file won't help (not sure though if printing to a file might work).
But I could have misunderstood the OP's requirement in this case and he just
wants a 'nice' formated sheet.

Frank

Ramana Murthy

You are right. I want a TEXT file to be generated, keeping in view the
printer's requirements.

PDF will not serve the purpose, as it will take the same amount of time to
print on a similar printer (say - dotmatrix printer)

Ramana Murthy

"Frank Kabel" wrote in message
[...]

Harlan Grove

"Frank Kabel" wrote...
but the goal was to produce a text file and just saving such a file as
*.csv or *.txt file won't help (not sure though if printing to a file
might work). But I could have misunderstood the OP's requirement in this
case and he just wants a 'nice' formated sheet.

Sorry, I took the final step for granted. Add Generic/Text-Only as a printer
in Windows connected to FILE, and print to this logical printer.

Ramana Murthy

Thanks for your help. But ..

Sorry, I took the final step for granted. Add Generic/Text-Only as a

printer
in Windows

Yes, I understood that I have to install a printer in Windows, the printer
to be selected is Generic/Text-Only printer.

connected to FILE, and print to this logical printer.

I have not understood this part. Can u please elaborate?

Regards,
Ramana Murthy

"Harlan Grove" wrote in message
"Frank Kabel" wrote...
but the goal was to produce a text file and just saving such a file as
*.csv or *.txt file won't help (not sure though if printing to a file
might work). But I could have misunderstood the OP's requirement in this
case and he just wants a 'nice' formated sheet.

Sorry, I took the final step for granted. Add Generic/Text-Only as a

printer
in Windows connected to FILE, and print to this logical printer.

Frank Kabel

Hi
in the dialog 'File - Print' check the checkbox 'Print to File' (somethere
in the upper right area of this dialog)