Becky

Default hide a column and lock it out

I have a mailing list that I need to sent to another insurance company to
update. I want to hide some of the info so they can't "use" our mailing
list. I don't want to make a new worksheet with just the info I want them to
see because it is a large mailing list and I don't want to have to update a
seperate list after I get the updated list back. So I want to hide a column
or two and lock it out so other users can't see it. Any suggestions?
TomHinkle

Tools menu..

Protect workbook
click the structure box..

"Becky" wrote:

I have a mailing list that I need to sent to another insurance company to
update. I want to hide some of the info so they can't "use" our mailing
list. I don't want to make a new worksheet with just the info I want them to
see because it is a large mailing list and I don't want to have to update a
seperate list after I get the updated list back. So I want to hide a column
or two and lock it out so other users can't see it. Any suggestions?

Dan

The only way I know how to do this is to hide the columns and then protect
the worksheet with a password. They will not be able to unhide the column
unless they have the password, but they can still copy the data and paste it
to a new workbook and view it, so this is not a secure way of locking them
out.

To protect the sheet go to Tools - Protection - Protect workbook (or sheet)
and then put in your password.