Jay

Default Tracking Hours and Minutes

I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.

I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
-for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
length of time.

Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
minutes over a week?

Thanks,

Jay
David McRitchie

Format as time with a custom format:
[hh]:mm
the square brackets will keep hours from overflowing into days.
---
HTH,

"Jay" wrote in message ...
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.

I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
-for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
length of time.

Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
minutes over a week?

Thanks,

Jay

HR Pro

Jay,

I do this. I wish I could just upload my document right here for you to use.
I just use number format with two decimals. Then I round min. to the nearest
1/4...

1.25
1.5
1.75

The next step is to use miltary time instead of standard time.

My worksheet subtracts my end time from my start time and tallies up the
entire week - no problem.

"Jay" wrote:

I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.

I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
-for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
length of time.

Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
minutes over a week?

Thanks,

Jay

Peo Sjoblom

I also believe the OP needs to be entering times as times Excel can interpret
as times, he seems to be using decimals and he either has to convert them
through a formula or use an event macro that replaces the period with a
semicolon

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Jay" wrote in message ...
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet where I can track, over the course of a
week, how long I work on a specific task every day, in hours and minutes.

I've tried several of the formatting options - General, Number, Time,
Special, Custom but everytime I enter a length of time, for example; 1.45
-for 1 hr and 45 minutes, Excel converts it to a time of the day and not a
length of time.

Is there a way to fomat a row of cells to track lengths of time in hours and
minutes over a week?

Thanks,

Jay

David McRitchie

I hadn't noticed that, and now he added something else like maybe
he want to enter differently and I'm not sure what.

To enter as hours and decimal fraction hours one can enter as
hours then divide by 24 so that has fractional days for an Excel time.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
http://www.cpearson.com/exce./datetime.htm

If on the other hand, military time was mentioned which I take to be
four digits then Chip Pearson has a page for entry of Military Time
Times, Quick Entry http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm
As if typing a colon take too much time.