Pate

Default In Excel can you calculate age from two given dates?

We are using Excel as a manual log of visits. We would like to screen out
anyone that is not 18 years old and were looking for a means of calculating
the age from the current date and the date of birth. Is there a function that
can do this?

Alan

One way,
with the DOB in A1 and =TODAY() in B1
=(B1-A1)/365.25
Format the cell this is in as Number,
Regards,
Alan
"Pate" wrote in message
We are using Excel as a manual log of visits. We would like to screen out
anyone that is not 18 years old and were looking for a means of
calculating
the age from the current date and the date of birth. Is there a function
that
can do this?

JE McGimpsey

Note that this gives nonsense answers when the beginning month is longer
than the end month:

on 1 March 2006, this formula will, for

A1: 31 January 1988

return "17 years, 1 months, -2 days"

Since you don't need the days, better to ditch the extra functions and
use

=DATEDIF(A1, TODAY(), "y") & " years old"

or,

=IF(DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y")=18,"OK","Too young")

(You could use NOW(), instead, but adding the time doesn't matter with
DATEDIF)

In article ,
"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months, " &
DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days"

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Chip Pearson shows how at this link:

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.aspx

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 2, 8:18*pm, NANCY QIP
wrote:
"Pate" wrote:
We are using Excel as a manual log of visits. We would like to screen out
anyone that is not 18 years old and were looking for a means of calculating
the age from the current date and the date of birth. Is there a function that
can do this?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

i want to calculate days between two dates

eg 16/10/2008 minus 14/08/2008
(dd/mm/yyyy)

pls explain giving example at my email address

thanks

=raj kapadia, surat, india

"Pate" wrote:

We are using Excel as a manual log of visits. We would like to screen out
anyone that is not 18 years old and were looking for a means of calculating
the age from the current date and the date of birth. Is there a function that
can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes you got it right in saying "16/10/2008 minus 14/08/2008".

If your dates are in A2 and B2 respectively, the formula for the number of
days is =A2-B2. The explanation is that Excel dates are stored as a number
of days from an origin at the start of 1900 (or of 1904, depending on which
options you have set).

Note that when you ask a question in a newsgroup, the answer comes in the
newsgroup, not by e-mail. The reason for that is so that the answer can be
of use to other readers of the group (and so that other contributors can
correct me when I've got it wrong).
--
David Biddulph

"RAJ KAPADIA, SURAT, INDIA" <RAJ KAPADIA, SURAT,
wrote in message
in excel i want to calculate days between two dates

for e. g.

16/10/2008 minus 14/08/2008
(dd/mm/yyyy)

please explain and if possible give me an example.

my alernate email address is

please help me out

thanks

=raj kapadia, surat, india

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months,
" &
DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days"
--

HTH

RP

"Pate" wrote in message
We are using Excel as a manual log of visits. We would like to screen
out
anyone that is not 18 years old and were looking for a means of

calculating
the age from the current date and the date of birth. Is there a
function

that
can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bob you saved my day! I was trying to figure out how to get the yrs and
months of students birhtdates for a standardized test spread sheet and your
formula was right on the money! You sved me many hours of number crunching.
I owe you a beer!
Coffeemom

"Pate" wrote in message
We are using Excel as a manual log of visits. We would like to screen out
anyone that is not 18 years old and were looking for a means of

calculating
the age from the current date and the date of birth. Is there a function

that
can do this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1 week is 7 days, so:

=DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months, " &
INT(DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md")/7) & " weeks" & MOD(DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md"),7) & "
days"
--
David Biddulph