joemc911

Default Getting data from another workbook based on variable

I am not sure this is best placed in general, but here goes. I want to use a
seperate workbook to tally daily data inputs, which I have working just fine.
I then want to take some of the tallied data to another sheet, which only
needs current month data. Since the seperate workbook is built with each
month I need some sort of query or if, maybe lookup, function to look at a
selected month on the sheet where I want the data to go to and see that it
wants say january data to get only january data from the workbook, but when
it is changed to february or march, it automatically gets data from the
proper place. I am thinking I might be able to create an IF statement that
looks at selected data areas and finds the right month, then gets the data
from that months cell. I just don't know how to make that happen.

Hi

Post back with a rough layout of how your data is stored on the sheet.
You'll probably end up using SUMPRODUCT or SUMIF (or even a pivot table),
but it's difficult to advise without seeing what info you have and where.

--
Andy.

"joemc911" wrote in message
[...]

joemc911

I have a running daily total in 12 seperate worksheets of my workbook. The
"report" page consolidates the Monthly totals and does an annual total. I
want to be able to, in another spreadsheet/workbook, pull in the current
months running total. I want to have either a drop down month cell to let
them choose what the current month is, so when they choose say Jan, it
retrieves the data from the January cummulative total block, but if they
choose Jul it gets it from July's. I know how to get the data linked and
could do a 12 month display, but what is being asked is only "current" months
data to be displayed. I have some ideas but can't really get any to work so
far.

Thanks for the offer to help!

"joemc911" wrote in message
[...]

The easiest option is to use a pivot table. You can summarise information
really easily with this. Here is an introduction:
I reckon that using the Page option is your pbest bet. The pivot table will
create a drop-down table for you too!

--
Andy.