Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Trying to create Macro to search the Internet Movie Database

I'm using Excel 2007 and have a made a spreadsheet that is a list of
movie titles, one per cell:

Frailty
Frankenstein
Freaks
etc.

I'd like to create a macro that picks up a title, inserts it into a
fixed search link, runs that link, and leaves me on the IMDB search
results web page.

For example, for the movie "Frankenstein," the link would look like
http://imdb.com/find?s=all&q=Frankenstein

Then, after poking around in movie data base, when I exit the browser,
I want to return to the same place in my Excel file (the Frankenstein
cell).

That seems simple enough, but I'm a complete novice in Excel and its
macros. Within a record macro (recorded) I've constructed the link in
a vacant cell by typing in the the first part (http... all&q=) and
then copying the movie name text from its cell and appending it to the
partial link in the vacant cell (using keyboard cut&paste, not mouse).
Pressing Enter causes the completed link to display, but with an
enlarged font that increases the row height (huh?).

A click of the mouse then runs the link and opens IMDB properly. But
when I try another cell and title it reverts to Frankenstein and ends
with:

Run-time error '9':
Subscript out of range

It offers Debug, but that's alien to me!

I'd appreciate some help!

--John W. Wells