Junior Member

Question Text parsing HELP

Hello,

I'm looking to extract text (and numbers) from one column and move them to the adjacent one. I definitely consider myself a novice when it comes to Excel. Here's the gist of what I'd like to do, the data in the column looks as follows:

High / CVSS Base Sco 7.5
CVE: CVE-2010-0219
BID: 44055
Other references: CERT:989719

I want to take just the information following the "CVE:" and extract it to the next column. The trick is that the numbers in the string change and are not constant. For example, in one row, it could be CVE-2010-0219 and the next row, it would be CVE-2008-0312.

What's the best way to do this? I have Excel 2010.
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavistdi View Post
Hello,

I'm looking to extract text (and numbers) from one column and move them to the adjacent one. I definitely consider myself a novice when it comes to Excel. Here's the gist of what I'd like to do, the data in the column looks as follows:

High / CVSS Base Sco 7.5
CVE: CVE-2010-0219
BID: 44055
Other references: CERT:989719

I want to take just the information following the "CVE:" and extract it to the next column. The trick is that the numbers in the string change and are not constant. For example, in one row, it could be CVE-2010-0219 and the next row, it would be CVE-2008-0312.

What's the best way to do this? I have Excel 2010.
Let's say that in A1 it holds CVE: CVE-2008-0312. Your formula should be:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-5)
__________________
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Junior Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
Let's say that in A1 it holds CVE: CVE-2008-0312. Your formula should be:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-5)
Thanks for the quick reply! Can you clarify how the formula above will find the "CVE:" specific text in the cell as opposed to all the other text that is there?

Thanks again.
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavistdi View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Can you clarify how the formula above will find the "CVE:" specific text in the cell as opposed to all the other text that is there?

Thanks again.
You can only apply the formula if the cell only contains "CVE: xxx."

But if the cell contains this information:

High / CVSS Base Sco 7.5
CVE: CVE-2010-0219
BID: 44055
Other references: CERT:989719

You need to use another formula:
=MID(B1,FIND("CVE: ",B1)+5,13)
__________________
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
You can only apply the formula if the cell only contains "CVE: xxx."

But if the cell contains this information:

High / CVSS Base Sco 7.5
CVE: CVE-2010-0219
BID: 44055
Other references: CERT:989719

You need to use another formula:
=MID(B1,FIND("CVE: ",B1)+5,13)
Thanks, that seems to be doing the trick! One other question, what if I wanted to add IF ERROR to get disregard any cells that don't have the text above? How do I add it to the formula you have? Is it something like: =IFERROR(D116:D2786,"NA")?

Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavistdi View Post
Thanks, that seems to be doing the trick! One other question, what if I wanted to add IF ERROR to get disregard any cells that don't have the text above? How do I add it to the formula you have? Is it something like: =IFERROR(D116/D2786,"NA")?
=IFERROR(MID(B1,FIND("CVE: ",B1)+5,13),"")
__________________
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
=IFERROR(MID(B1,FIND("CVE: ",B1)+5,13),"")
Great, that did the trick.

Thanks again!

Text Extraction (parsing) Curtis Excel Worksheet Functions 3 October 21st 09 08:35 PM
Parsing text Confused Excel Worksheet Functions 1 August 5th 09 03:38 PM
parsing text KRK New Users to Excel 4 March 8th 08 05:23 PM
parsing text [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 April 11th 07 01:29 PM
Parsing text Hamster07 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 February 1st 07 07:32 PM