David Boas

Default Formula entry in Excel

Why, occasionally, when I enter a formula into a cell, I get the formula
displayed rather than the result?
Kim46770

Are you making sure there is a = sign in front of the formula?

"David Boas" wrote:

Why, occasionally, when I enter a formula into a cell, I get the formula
displayed rather than the result?

Dave Peterson

If the cell was formatted as Text (format|Cells|number tab), then your formula
is just a text value.

If you start your formula with " =..." (Spacebar, equals), then excel will see
it as text.

--

Dave Peterson
Jason Morin

Most likely the cell is set to text. Thus anything you enter will be
interpreted as text, including a formula.

This can happen if you insert a new column between columns, and the column
to the left of the inserted column is text.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA