Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kim Kim is offline

Default Active Workbook

Using Excel 2007, I have a macro where I use a workbook, then save as a new
named workbook. I want to keep the original workbook open. What code
language will accomplish this? Even manually, I do not see how to save as a
copy and keep original file open.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Correct, when you save-as, you are changing the name of active file, not
creating a copy. Perhaps this code?

Sub ReName()
xName = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
'Change this to something appropriate
ThisWorkbook.SaveAs "New Name"
'Opens original file
Workbooks.Open (xName)
'Close the copied file
ThisWorkbook.Close

Best Regards,

Luke M
"Kim" wrote in message
Using Excel 2007, I have a macro where I use a workbook, then save as a
new
named workbook. I want to keep the original workbook open. What code
language will accomplish this? Even manually, I do not see how to save as
copy and keep original file open.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You need to re-open the original.
Prior to save as, put the current name in a variable.
After the save as, open the original using that variable.

Something like...

strOriginalName = ActiveWorkbook.FullName
....save as code
Workbooks.Open Filename:= strOriginalName

--
Hope this helps.
If it does, please click the Yes button.

"Kim" wrote:

Using Excel 2007, I have a macro where I use a workbook, then save as a new
named workbook. I want to keep the original workbook open. What code
language will accomplish this? Even manually, I do not see how to save as a
copy and keep original file open.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kim Kim is offline

I have another kink in this.
I am working in 2007, but original file was .xls and saved as .xls. With
the SaveAs I originally had FileFormat:=xlNormal, but this returned "argument
not found".

Kim wrote:

Using Excel 2007, I have a macro where I use a workbook, then save as a new
named workbook. I want to keep the original workbook open. What code
language will accomplish this? Even manually, I do not see how to save as a
copy and keep original file open.

Thank you

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

SaveCopyAs doesn't give you a choice of what type of file you're saving as.
It's saving as an exact copy of the workbook file you're saving.

If you need to change fileformat, then .savecopyas isn't going to do it by
itself.

You could:
savecopyas
open that copy you just saved.
save it in the format you want.
close that file.

And the original workbook stays untouched.