Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default More on saving as binary.

OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I dont think so it is a new one in Excel 2007, because since Excel 2000 to
2003 the Rows are 65536 and the columns are 256 (I dont know about the prior
versions which is prior to Excel 2000). So you cant able define the Ba1001
in the above versions also.

But In Excel 2007 and 2010 the number of Rows has been increased to 1048576
and columns are 16384, so you cant able to define the names from A1 to
XFD1048576 in Excel 2007 & 2010.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Kevryl" wrote:

OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are correct.

Bal001 is a cell address in 2007

Hence the underscore.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 03:32:01 -0700, Kevryl
wrote:

OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my ..xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

would this be because Bal001 is now an
actual cell within the new Excel 2007
spreadsheet size?

Yes, sort of!

There is no actual cell address BAL001 but Excel will interpret that as the
actual cell address BAL1.

Try entering BAL001 in the name box and then hitting Enter. Excel will take
you to cell BAL1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kevryl" wrote in message
OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an
actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh! Made a mistake. Please ignore my previous post. I wrongly read the
Bal001 as Ba1001.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Kevryl" wrote:

OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

and this behaviour is not only with Excel 2007...but also with the previous
versions.

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Kevryl" wrote:

OK, so I started the experiment and soon got pulled up. I'm saving my .xls
file as a binary .xlsb, and the darned thing wants to put an underscore in
front of range names. I dunno if it applies to all, but the first one not
acceptable was Bal001. Aah yes, would this be because Bal001 is now an actual
cell within the new Excel 2007 spreadsheet size?

I've got a feeling that's probably the case. If so are there any other new
restrictions on range names since Excel 2000?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks folks, I shoulda twigged to that sooner. It means there's not too many
range names (and macros) I'll need to change if I save as 2007 files. Heaps
of range names but very few that could be a cell address.