Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default AUTOMATICALLY ENTER AND CALCULATE NUMBERS AS NEGATIVES

I used custom format so that I could automatically enter several negative
numbers without keying in the minus sign each time. However the column did
not calculate correctly. What else can I try.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,
with custom format you will see the numbers as negatives, in your formulas
you will need to treat them as positives for example if you enter 1 in cell
A1 and you format it to be seen as -1, then in B1 you enter =A1 it will show
as 1 (positive) if you want to be shown as negative you have to enter =-A1

"EarthAngel" wrote:

I used custom format so that I could automatically enter several negative
numbers without keying in the minus sign each time. However the column did
not calculate correctly. What else can I try.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Formatting is visual only.

Your data are still positive.

You must use the minus sign or event code.

Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1:A10" '<<<adjust to suit
Dim cell As Range
On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
.Value = .Value * -1
End With
End If
ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code" Copy/paste the code into that
sheet module.

Edit the range to suit and Alt + q to return to Excel.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 May 2010 13:22:27 -0700, EarthAngel
wrote:

I used custom format so that I could automatically enter several negative
numbers without keying in the minus sign each time. However the column did
not calculate correctly. What else can I try.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for your response. I figured as much. I wanted to see if there was
something out there that I was unaware of that would allow me to use the sum
function instead of creating a formula. I will now fix my formula at the
bottom of the column to allow for this.