Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default #DIV/O! Errror with Absolute Number Calculation

Hi,

I am calculating the following formula.

=ABS(K41-J41)/ABS(K41)

The result is #DIV/O! many times because K41 is 0 and the result is #DIV/O!

I'd like the result to be "N/A" or something that I could put in between
parenthesis.

I'd be happy with any recommendations you have.

Thanks!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

=IF(K41="","N/A",ABS(K41-J41)/ABS(K41))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brent" wrote in message

I am calculating the following formula.

=ABS(K41-J41)/ABS(K41)

The result is #DIV/O! many times because K41 is 0 and the result is
#DIV/O!

I'd like the result to be "N/A" or something that I could put in between
parenthesis.

I'd be happy with any recommendations you have.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Firstly your formula can be simplified to

=ABS((K41-J41)/K41)

and to get NA# instead of div/0 use

=IF(K41=0,NA(),ABS((K41-J41)/K41))
--
Mike

question.

"Brent" wrote:

Hi,

I am calculating the following formula.

=ABS(K41-J41)/ABS(K41)

The result is #DIV/O! many times because K41 is 0 and the result is #DIV/O!

I'd like the result to be "N/A" or something that I could put in between
parenthesis.

I'd be happy with any recommendations you have.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mike,

Thanks so much for your quick response. The result of your equation was #N/A
which was what I wanted. However, what if I now wanted the #N/A to be worded
"No YTD Sales" of something to that affect. I attempted the following
formula, but it didn't work using your prior logic. I think the prefix of my
equation is causing me problems.

=IF(iserror(K41=0,NA(),ABS((K41-J41)/K41)), "No YTD Sales"
K41=0,NA(),ABS((K41-J41)/K41)))

"Brent" wrote:

Hi,

I am calculating the following formula.

=ABS(K41-J41)/ABS(K41)

The result is #DIV/O! many times because K41 is 0 and the result is #DIV/O!

I'd like the result to be "N/A" or something that I could put in between
parenthesis.

I'd be happy with any recommendations you have.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Like this

=IF(K41=0,"No YTD Sales",ABS((K41-J41)/K41))

Note it's now in quotes
--
Mike

question.

"Brent" wrote:

Hi,

I am calculating the following formula.

=ABS(K41-J41)/ABS(K41)

The result is #DIV/O! many times because K41 is 0 and the result is #DIV/O!

I'd like the result to be "N/A" or something that I could put in between
parenthesis.

I'd be happy with any recommendations you have.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=IF(iserror(K41=0,NA(),ABS((K41-J41)/K41)), "No YTD Sales"

One idea w/ Excel 2007:

=IFERROR(ABS(1-J41/K41), "No YTD Sales")

HTH :)
Dana DeLouis