Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extract Month From A Text String

Good Day,

I have a date that I'm pulling from a report that is in a text string
format. What i need to be able to do is extract the month from the string so
that I can run a script against the month name. The format of the string is
as follows.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sam
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Maybe this

= MID(A1, FIND(" ",A1,1)+1, FIND(" ",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)+1)-(FIND("
",A1,FIND(" ",A1,1))))
--
Mike

question.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,FIND(" ",A1,FIND(",",A1)+2)-FIND(",",A1)-2)
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sam

Assuming the text string is always the entire contents of the line, and is
always formatted as
dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy
or
dddd, mmmm d, yyyy

Then
=--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99)
or
=DATEVALUE(MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99))

will return a number which is the Excel Date. (40282 for the above date).

You can then extract the month as a number [1-12] using the MONTH worksheet
function:

=MONTH(--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99))

If you want the month as text, then:

=TEXT(--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+2,99),"mmmm")

--ron