Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Extracting Dates

I have a column of random dates ranging from 1-1-2007 to 1-1-2017 in the
format of ddmmmyy. I am trying to create two more columns of data, one
containing the year, and one containing the month. Is it possible to use a
formula to extract these without having to sort individually and input
manually.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assume that your Date is in A1 cell

Copy and paste the below formula in B1 cell for getting the Month.
=MONTH(A1)

Or

=TEXT(A1,"MMM")

Copy and paste the below formula in C1 cell for getting the Year.
=YEAR(A1)

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"dwake" wrote in message
I have a column of random dates ranging from 1-1-2007 to 1-1-2017 in the
format of ddmmmyy. I am trying to create two more columns of data, one
containing the year, and one containing the month. Is it possible to use
formula to extract these without having to sort individually and input
manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If they are true Excel dates try these.

For the month number: 1, 2, 3 ... 12

=MONTH(A1)

For the short month name: Jan, Feb, Mar ... Dec

=TEXT(A1,"mmm")

For the long month name: January, February, March ... December

=TEXT(A1,"mmmm")

For the year:

=YEAR(A1)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"dwake" wrote in message
I have a column of random dates ranging from 1-1-2007 to 1-1-2017 in the
format of ddmmmyy. I am trying to create two more columns of data, one
containing the year, and one containing the month. Is it possible to use
formula to extract these without having to sort individually and input
manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you sir!!!

(Ms-Exl-Learner)