Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
s s is offline

Default Top 5 recurring text values with count

My data:

Col 1
Apples
Oranges
Oranges

Bananas
Apples

I'm trying have excel show the text "Apples" in one col & the count "2" in
another col; same with oranges and bananas. I don't know if it is the blank
cell that is causing errors but I have tried LARGE, VLOOKUP, MATCH and am not
having any luck.

Thank you in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On May 5, 3:07*pm, S wrote:
My data:

Col 1 * * * * * *
Apples
Oranges
Oranges

Bananas
Apples

I'm trying have excel show the text "Apples" in one col & the count "2" in
another col; same with oranges and bananas. *I don't know if it is the blank
cell that is causing errors but I have tried LARGE, VLOOKUP, MATCH and am not
having any luck.

Thank you in advance

Perhaps provide sample data and results expected.

=COUNTIF($B$16:$B$21,B16)

Will count the number of apples/bananas in the range,but you get
multiples.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
s s is offline

Works perfectly! I was over-complicating things. Thank you so very, very
much!

"מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote:

You will be better off by using a 'PivotTable'.
Micky