Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need to import a table done in PDF into Excel

I have a data table in a PDF document that I would really, really like to
import into Excel so I can manipulate the data. The PDF settings cannot be
changed in any way - it's how the program that creates the PDF file is
written, and I don't have/can't get rewrite privileges. At work I have
Excel 2003, at home I have Excel 2007. I have the document saved on my
computer as a PDF, and I also have a hard copy.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Beth

I use AbleExtract for this
http://www.investintech.com/prod_options.htm

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Beth" wrote in message ...
I have a data table in a PDF document that I would really, really like to
import into Excel so I can manipulate the data. The PDF settings cannot be
changed in any way - it's how the program that creates the PDF file is
written, and I don't have/can't get rewrite privileges. At work I have
Excel 2003, at home I have Excel 2007. I have the document saved on my
computer as a PDF, and I also have a hard copy.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

..PDF's don't typically come out so godo in Excel.

File Export and try out the formats to see what comes out best. But,
you'll probably have to adjust data either way...

"Beth" wrote:

I have a data table in a PDF document that I would really, really like to
import into Excel so I can manipulate the data. The PDF settings cannot be
changed in any way - it's how the program that creates the PDF file is
written, and I don't have/can't get rewrite privileges. At work I have
Excel 2003, at home I have Excel 2007. I have the document saved on my
computer as a PDF, and I also have a hard copy.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As goofy as it sounds, have you tried to copy and paste? I have data from a
pdf source I bring into Excel every week. There are some slight quirks, but
it works for me with a little manipulation. Helpful hint is use the Alt key
and mouse on the pdf to select what you want to copy (ctrl+c) and do not
paste special into excel. Hope if maybe works.

Jeff

"Beth" wrote:

I have a data table in a PDF document that I would really, really like to
import into Excel so I can manipulate the data. The PDF settings cannot be
changed in any way - it's how the program that creates the PDF file is
written, and I don't have/can't get rewrite privileges. At work I have
Excel 2003, at home I have Excel 2007. I have the document saved on my
computer as a PDF, and I also have a hard copy.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 4/30/2010 10:06 AM, Beth wrote:
I have a data table in a PDF document that I would really, really like to
import into Excel so I can manipulate the data. The PDF settings cannot be
changed in any way - it's how the program that creates the PDF file is
written, and I don't have/can't get rewrite privileges. At work I have
Excel 2003, at home I have Excel 2007. I have the document saved on my
computer as a PDF, and I also have a hard copy.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks!

Adobe Acrobat or a substitute program should work as long as the data
table is really a table and not just an image.

Consider scanning your hard copy, then using OCR to bring the data into
either Word or Excel. I've scanned/OCR'd some old typewritten articles
from the early 80's into Word with very few errors.

MS Office Pro Editions include a pretty good built-in scan to OCR
application.

Bill