Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup with 3 viariables

I have a gridchart that uses horizontal numbers and vertical numbers. The
outside numbers are two sections of an exam. The internal numbers are the
final score.

Example below

1 2 3 4 5

55 62 63 64 65 66
56 64 66 68 70 72
57 66 68 70 72 74
58 68 70 72 74 76

I want to enter 2 numbers (shown on outside of grid)- lets say a 55 and a 4
for a particular student.

What I want excel to do is enter the final score in a specified cell using
the data on the grid I entered. So if I enter a 55 and a 4 for a student-
Excel will put the final score of a 65 in the cell for that student.

I beleive it is a vLookup function, but cannot figure it out.

Please help me!!

Thanks for any advice
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You actually need an INDEX function, which uses a row and column arguement.
Assuming your grid is in B2:F5

=INDEX(B2:F5,MATCH(55,A2:A5),MATCH(4,B1:F1))

You can of course replace the 55 and 4 with the actual cell reference.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"John A" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming data in A1:F5
First number (55) in A20
Second Number in A21

=VLOOKUP(A20,$A$1:$F$5,A21+1,False)
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.