Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Reference a fixed cell on different sheets

Hello,

This hopefully should be easy :) :)

I want to reference a value in a different sheet, but I want the sheet to be
choosen by the contents of another cell.

So in other words, if I have a drop down menu of my Sheet names in A1 - I
want to be able to use this 'kind' of formula in B1, '=A1!B3'. The end result
would be to return the value of B3 from the sheet choosen in A1.

This obviously doesn't work, which is why I need help :)

Any Ideas Please?

Many Thanks

Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try =INDIRECT("'" & A1 & "'!B3")

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Mark Holland" wrote in message
Hello,

This hopefully should be easy :) :)

I want to reference a value in a different sheet, but I want the sheet to
be
choosen by the contents of another cell.

So in other words, if I have a drop down menu of my Sheet names in A1 - I
want to be able to use this 'kind' of formula in B1, '=A1!B3'. The end
result
would be to return the value of B3 from the sheet choosen in A1.

This obviously doesn't work, which is why I need help :)

Any Ideas Please?

Many Thanks

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Reg Reg is offline

Hi

you want the 'Indirect' function

Example:

Put "Hello" in Sheet 2, A1
Put "World" in Sheet3, A1

in Sheet1 B1 put "Sheet2!"
in sheet1 B2 put "Sheet3!"
(dont forget the exclamaion mark!!!)

in sheet1 A1
=indirect(b1&"A1")&" "&indirect(b2&"A1)

Ta da

RegMigrant

"Mark Holland" wrote:

Hello,

This hopefully should be easy :) :)

I want to reference a value in a different sheet, but I want the sheet to be
choosen by the contents of another cell.

So in other words, if I have a drop down menu of my Sheet names in A1 - I
want to be able to use this 'kind' of formula in B1, '=A1!B3'. The end result
would be to return the value of B3 from the sheet choosen in A1.

This obviously doesn't work, which is why I need help :)

Any Ideas Please?

Many Thanks

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Copy and paste the below formula in B1 cell
=INDIRECT(INDIRECT("A"&1)&"!"&"B"&3)

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Mark Holland" wrote:

Hello,

This hopefully should be easy :) :)

I want to reference a value in a different sheet, but I want the sheet to be
choosen by the contents of another cell.

So in other words, if I have a drop down menu of my Sheet names in A1 - I
want to be able to use this 'kind' of formula in B1, '=A1!B3'. The end result
would be to return the value of B3 from the sheet choosen in A1.

This obviously doesn't work, which is why I need help :)

Any Ideas Please?

Many Thanks

Mark

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Still more perfect to suit your anticipated needs: If you have a drop down
list of worksheet names in the column A from A2 downwards, and addresses of
sevaral referenced cells in the worksheets in the row 1 from B1 to the right,
you could use formula with anchored references
= INDIRECT("'" & $A2 & "'!" & B$1)
and copy it downwards and to the right.

--
Petr Bezucha