Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel Jululian

Good morning

please help

can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)

regrads

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Reg Reg is offline

oh, go on then

two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so
can (kind of) keep itself up to date.

I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:-

got to Start, run type "cmd" without quotes and hit return
navigate to directory you want to start at (if you need help with this part
then close the window and let us know - you arent ready to play in there!)

you now going to copy the driectory structure with all excel files to a text
file by typing the following at the command prompt:-

dir /B /D /N /S /X *.xls files.csv

This creates a file called 'files.csv' with a list of all .xls files in the
current directory and below.

if you type "files.csv" at the command prompt it will be loaded into excel
and you have your index.

hth

RegMigrant

"George A. Jululian" wrote:

Good morning

please help

can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS)

regrads

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Reg Reg is offline

the "dir /b /d /n /s /x *.xls files.csv" line, will, if entered at a
command prompt, list all of the .xls files from the current directory and
every sub-directory in the tree below it - so if you run it in the root
directory of C: (ie: C:\dir /b /d /n /s /x *.xls files.csv) it will list
every xls file on your c: hard disk

If the problem is that you dont understand the use of command prompt and
"dir" command in the first place then I suggest you go down the route of
using a macro instead.

you can find a 'make your own' at ozgrid - run by one of the MVP from here
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51306

or download a pre-packaged one
http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=837

hth