Doyle_D

Default Suggestion to add ability to merge non-adjacent cells in Excel.

I would like to see the ability to merge non-adjacent cells. In essence, I
am talking about tying two or more cells together so that they behave like
the same cell: you would be able to change data in EITHER ONE and it will
automatically show up in the other cell AND vice-versa.
--
Doyle_D

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

David McRitchie

Hi Doyle,

Even merging two adjacent cells do not operate like that.

The only way you would be able to effect that change quickly
would be with a Change Event macro and would apply to
constants only not to formulas. I did not check as constant in my example.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm#change

Option Explicit

'to install -- right-click on the sheettab of the sheet to
' be used in and choose 'view code'. Paste this Worksheet
' event macro into the module.
'-- change to Col B changes value in Column G to that of B
'-- change to Col G changes value in Column B to that of G
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Column = 2 Then
Cells(Target.row, 7).Value = Target.Value
ElseIf Target.Column = 7 Then
Cells(Target.row, 2).Value = Target.Value
End If
ErrHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

---
HTH,

"Doyle_D" wrote in message ...
I would like to see the ability to merge non-adjacent cells. In essence, I
am talking about tying two or more cells together so that they behave like
the same cell: you would be able to change data in EITHER ONE and it will
automatically show up in the other cell AND vice-versa.
--
Doyle_D

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Doyle_D

Franz,

Yes, this is exactly what I want, but with one exception: I want it to be
two-way. In other words, I want to be able to change data in A20 and have it
show up in C3 also. The trouble with this simple formula is that if I try
this in A20, it over-types the formula pointed at C3 and destroys the link.
The link I am looking for would be without formulas in the individual cell.

I don't think this functionality exists in Excel at this time. I am
attempting to suggest it, not so much ask how to do it.

--
Doyle_D

"Franz Verga" wrote:

"Doyle_D" ha scritto nel messaggio

I would like to see the ability to merge non-adjacent cells. In
essence, I am talking about tying two or more cells together so that
they behave like the same cell: you would be able to change data in
EITHER ONE and it will automatically show up in the other cell AND
vice-versa.

If you want that a cell behave like another cell, you can link them, i.e. if
you want that cell A20 behaves like cell C3, just type in A20 the formula
=C3...

--
Hoping to be helpful...

Regards

Franz Verga

To reply translate from italian InVento (no capital letters)