Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Calculating Time Spans

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the duration between the
"date/time" in to the "date/time" out. I have four cells DATE IN, TIME IN,
DATE OUT, TIME OUT. I have to somehow merge DATE IN/TIME IN and DATE
OUT/TIME OUT and then subtract the difference. But I can't seem to figure
how to merge the two cells and to obtain a realistic duration.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A1 = Date in
B1 = Time in
C1 = Date out
D1 = Time out

Try the formula;
=C1+D1-(A1+B1)

and format the formula cell as below... FormatCEllsCustomType as below

[h]:mm

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"LabITGeek" wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the duration between the
"date/time" in to the "date/time" out. I have four cells DATE IN, TIME IN,
DATE OUT, TIME OUT. I have to somehow merge DATE IN/TIME IN and DATE
OUT/TIME OUT and then subtract the difference. But I can't seem to figure
how to merge the two cells and to obtain a realistic duration.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If A2 is the date-in, B2 is the time-in and c2 is the date-out and D2 is the
time-out:

=(c2+d2) - (a2+b2)

Ps. I'd put the date and time into the same cell. You can format it nicely to
show both the date and time. I think it makes the arithmetic easier.

LabITGeek wrote:

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the duration between the
"date/time" in to the "date/time" out. I have four cells DATE IN, TIME IN,
DATE OUT, TIME OUT. I have to somehow merge DATE IN/TIME IN and DATE
OUT/TIME OUT and then subtract the difference. But I can't seem to figure
how to merge the two cells and to obtain a realistic duration.

--

Dave Peterson