Old April 23rd 10, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Inserting a space between characters in a cell

Hi

I have a column of codes and some are written as below:

A2ABC
A2BBB
A2CBC
A2DBD

I want them all to has a space after the A2 ie. A2 ABC, A2 BBB etc etc.

What is the best/easiest way to do this?

Thanks.

Old April 23rd 10, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
use a helper column off to the side. use this formula
=LEFT(A1,2)&" "&MID(A1,3,99)
adjust cell reference to fit your data.
copy down as far as needed.
copy the helper column and paste special values.
you can then replace the old data with the new.
regards
FSt1

Old April 23rd 10, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:01:01 -0700, mrmnz
wrote:

Hi

I have a column of codes and some are written as below:

A2ABC
A2BBB
A2CBC
A2DBD

I want them all to has a space after the A2 ie. A2 ABC, A2 BBB etc etc.

What is the best/easiest way to do this?

Thanks.

You could use Find/Replace

Select the cells that start with A2
Find/Replace
Find what: A2
Replace with: A2<space

You could use a formula:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"A2","A2 ",1)

On the other hand, if you always want to insert a <space between the 2nd and
3rd characters, you could use:

=REPLACE(A1,3,0," ")

And if you always want to insert a <space after the first digit, which might
or might not be in the second position:

=REPLACE(A1,MIN(FIND({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A1&"1,2 ,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0"))+1,0," ")

--ron

Old April 23rd 10, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:41:01 -0700, mrmnz
wrote:

Thank you so much - it's worked just great.

Glad to help.
--ron