Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default directing the sum of a cell to either of two cells depending on va

I have a spreadsheet for working out hours worked that ends like this.....

Total Hours _
Add Credit brought forward _
Deduct debit BF _
Total Hours for the week _
Less Standard hours - 36
Total _

What i need to do is forward this balance to another copy of this sheet
using a formula that says if its a positive number then it goes to the credit
cell but if its a negative number then it goes to the debit cell.

Hope this makes sense. If not please ask - I need help.

Thanks
Debi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Would 2 seperate "if" functions work for you.
In the debit column put, "if" number in cell x is negative then use this
number, if not use zero.
In the credit column put, "if" number in cell x is positive then use this
number, if not use zero.

Long winded way around it but might just work for you!
Tony

"Debi" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet for working out hours worked that ends like this.....

Total Hours _
Add Credit brought forward _
Deduct debit BF _
Total Hours for the week _
Less Standard hours - 36
Total _

What i need to do is forward this balance to another copy of this sheet
using a formula that says if its a positive number then it goes to the credit
cell but if its a negative number then it goes to the debit cell.

Hope this makes sense. If not please ask - I need help.

Thanks
Debi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Formulas cannot "direct" anything anywhere.

They can only pull to the cell in which they reside.

Use two formulas or VBA

See your other post for replies.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP