Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formula to return a formula

At least I think that's what I'm looking for. here's my situation:
I've got a sheet where there is a variable (X) that changes depending on
what row it is on. So I have a column (column c) that lists these variables
(X is dependant on things from a different sheet).

X is a muliplier that is utilized differently depending on the value of N. N
is a Picklist selection and can change periodically. Or even be duplicated on
more than one row.
I have a vlookup that checks the value of N (column a) and needs to return a
formula that has X applied if needed on the appropriate row (column b).

Example:
for cells c3, c4, c5, X= 2, 3, 7 respectively.
If N="age", then I need 5*X
If N="both", then I need X/2
If N="cans", then I need 20/X+1

Row 3:
if N (a3) is "age" b3 should return (and calculate) 5*2
if N (a3) is "both" b3 should return (and calculate) 2/2
if N (a3) is "cans" b3 should return (and calculate) 20/2+1

Row 4:
a4 is "age"; b4 should be 5*3
a4 is "both"; b4 should be 3/2
a4 is "cans"; b4 should be 20/3+1

Row 5:
a5 is "age"; b5 should be 5*7
a5 is "both"; b5 should be 7/2
a5 is "cans"; b5 should be 20/7+1

This is looking fairly complex so I hope my question is understandable. I've
been fighting with this for days now and have exhausted every How-To and help
file I can find on Excel. I'm hoping someone can help with this.