Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Using Tab key to jump to specific cell

I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4. If I
hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4). But this
does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places. I don't know how
I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
fine-tune it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you protect a sheet, tabbing will cause the active cell to jump between
the unlocked (aka unprotected) cells.
The order of tabbing is left to right, top to bottom.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Kelly" wrote in message
I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to
be
filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4. If
hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4). But this
does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places. I don't know
how
I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
fine-tune it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Kelly

This happens when you have unlocked cells in a protected w/s. Obviously
this is a bonus to you when creating a "fillable form".

Now you know what is happening you should be able to format the whole w/s
appropriately.
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Kelly" wrote:

I've created a 'fillable form' and somehow (magically) when the tab key is
pressed in certain cells, the cursor jumps to the next appropriate cell to be
filled (Example I filled in cell B1 and the next fillable cell is D4. If I
hit the tab key after typing in B1, the cursor will jump to D4). But this
does not happen in all cells or at the appropriate places. I don't know how
I managed to get it to do what it does already. Is there is a way to
fine-tune it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your input cells are in a left to right, top to bottom sequence,
unlocking input cells and Tabbing to them will work.

If not in that sequence you can create a named range in the order you want.

Start with last cell in order then CTRL + Click your way through the
sequence.

See Bob Phillips' site for more on this.

You can also use VBA to tab through a sequence of cells.

If you want that, post back.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP