Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default XLT and Internet

I have downloaded some worksheets to practice from Office Online. When I open
the worksheets also the browser is opened displaying the instructions for
that practice. I dont't want this to happen, as I have the instructions in a
separated document. How can I change this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Emece.-
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This is the way I'd do in in WinXP (and Vista--not sure if Win7 works the same
way).

Open windows explorer (not MSIE).
Tools|folder options|file types tab
Scroll down to XLS and select it
Click the Advanced button
And uncheck Brows in Same window

Do the same for all the extensions you need: XLSM, XLSX, etc...

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, Dave. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately in Windows 7 the File Types Tab is no longer present. I found
this interesting post:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-80058215d7e6

Thanks again.

Regards,
Emece.-

Emece wrote:

I have downloaded some worksheets to practice from Office Online. When I open
the worksheets also the browser is opened displaying the instructions for
that practice. I dont't want this to happen, as I have the instructions in a
separated document. How can I change this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Emece.-

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, because as in Windows 7 File Types Tab is no longer present, cannot
figure out were to uncheck " Browse in Same window" :-(

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Thanks for posting back.

Did it work?

Emece wrote:

I have downloaded some worksheets to practice from Office Online. When I open
the worksheets also the browser is opened displaying the instructions for
that practice. I dont't want this to happen, as I have the instructions in a
separated document. How can I change this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Emece.-

--

Dave Peterson
.

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I went to google and searched for:

browse in same window windows 7

And quite a few hits included this link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162059

It includes instructions on making changes to the registry.

(Be careful!)

I have no idea if this works in Win7, though. I'm not using that OS.

Emece wrote:

No, because as in Windows 7 File Types Tab is no longer present, cannot
figure out were to uncheck " Browse in Same window" :-(

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Thanks for posting back.

Did it work?

Emece wrote:

I have downloaded some worksheets to practice from Office Online. When I open
the worksheets also the browser is opened displaying the instructions for
that practice. I dont't want this to happen, as I have the instructions in a
separated document. How can I change this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Emece.-

--

Dave Peterson
.

--

Dave Peterson
.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I also found this site:
http://www.windowsreference.com/inte...-etcdocuments/

That pointed to a FileTypesMan utility that you can find he
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

I've never used this utility (that I can remember), but I have used other
NirSoft utilities. They're very nice and useful.

I'm getting a fresh download of all utilities even as I type from he
http://launcher.nirsoft.net/download.html

If you've never edited the registry before, I'd recommend that you try that
utility first. It's much too easy to screw up the registry -- there are no "are
you sure" prompts!

Please post back with your results and what you tried.

Emece wrote:

No, because as in Windows 7 File Types Tab is no longer present, cannot
figure out were to uncheck " Browse in Same window" :-(

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Thanks for posting back.

Did it work?