Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default OFFSET Formula

I am working with an OFFSET formula that was provided to me to help move
vertical data to horizontal data. In the original formula,
=OFFSET($F$1,ROW()*6-6+COLUMN()-18,) , I was moving 6 sets of vertical data.
Now I have 8 and the formula is not working. I am not sure how to
manipulate the numbers. I am assuming the "*6-6 refers to the 6 sets of data
and so I should change that to "*8-8", but I am not sure what the "-18"
stands for.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kiley,

=OFFSET($F$1,ROW()*6-6+COLUMN()-18,)

Column()-18

If the formula is in Column R (Which is col 18) then the above returns zero.
If the formula is in any cell to the left of col R it will return #REF
because it will be a minus value. Basically this tells the formula where to
start in the column of data. make it evaluate to zero and it will start on
row 1.

So a reasonable alternative to the formula would be

I prefer this because it can now go in any column or row to return F1 and if
we drag down 1 row it becomes

=OFFSET($F$1,ROW(A2)*6-6+COLUMN(R2)-18,)

and returns F7

If we wanted the formula to start on row 2 we would use

=OFFSET($F$1,ROW(A1)*6-6+COLUMN(R1)-17,)

So I think you now want

=OFFSET($F$1,ROW(A1)*8-8+COLUMN(R1)-18,)

Which returns f1 then f9 when dragged down

--
Mike

question.

"Kiley" wrote:

I am working with an OFFSET formula that was provided to me to help move
vertical data to horizontal data. In the original formula,
=OFFSET($F$1,ROW()*6-6+COLUMN()-18,) , I was moving 6 sets of vertical data.
Now I have 8 and the formula is not working. I am not sure how to
manipulate the numbers. I am assuming the "*6-6 refers to the 6 sets of data
and so I should change that to "*8-8", but I am not sure what the "-18"
stands for.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I may ask you another question. If I have a set of veritcal data for
each employee, but each set of data could range from 1 to 4 vertical values,
is there a way to change the following formulas to accomodate moving the data
from horizontal to vertical?:
=INDEX($A$2:$A$1690,1+(8*(ROWS(H$1:H1)-1)))
=OFFSET($G$2,ROW(A1)*8-8+COLUMN(R2)-18,)

Data Sample:
ID Data
275 Capitalize on Technical and Professional Know-How
275 Foster Teamwork
275 Value Others
933 Demonstrate Agility
933 Drive for Results
933 Team Leadership
933 Use Technical/Functional Expertise
658 Capitalize on Technical and Professional Know-How
658 Foster Teamwork
658 Manage Execution
1113 Demonstrate Drive & Commitment
1113 Leading Innovation