Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Leading Zero dropping off after export to Excel

Good afternoon,

I'm exporting data from a view I created in Lotus Notes 8.0 to Excel 2007.

One of the fields looks like a number (it has no alpha characters), but is
set up as "general". The field is 11 characters long and can contain a "0"
(zero) as the first character in the field. I have no control over this
field.

When I export selected documents from the view and save it as a .csv file,
which we've been instructed to do, and open with Excel, the leading "0" drops
off.

The problem with this is, I only need the first 4 characters. Before Lotus
Notes 8.0, I could save as a Lotus file and had no problem with the "0" not
dropping off. I can not save as a Lotus File now - have to save as .csv

Is there a quick fix to preventing the "0" from dropping off?

--
Thanks,
Tina Hudson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Even though its a .csv file, open it with
Data Import External Data Import Data
This allows you to tell the import Wizard that the field is Text. This will
allow leading zeros to be retained.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Tina Hudson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

To quote a famous 70's family rock and roll band - I think I love you!

Excel 2007 was slightly different than the steps you told me. I clicked on
"From Text" on the Data tab, and then the familiar dialog box popped up. I
identified the delimiter (which was a comma), and then highlighted the field
in question, making it a text field and my leading 0's remained intact!

You're a genius!

Many thanks!!!

Tina
--

[...]