Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Ken is offline

Default Index/Match ... Excel has encountered an Error

Excel2003 WorkBook with many INDEX/MATCH Formulas ...

Issue ... When I attempt to write a new INDEX/MATCH Formula I am having a
problem with Excel each time I attempt to enter the "M":

=Index(myrange,m ... at this point I receive pop-up stating I have an
"Identify" conflict & I need to select a Cell to use ... Seems no matter what
I do at this point I receive the Error message "Excel has encountered a
problem & needs close".

Above said, my work around has been to copy/paste an INDEX/MATCH formula
from a different cell & then to edit my ranges. But I do not understand why
I am getting error in 1st place or what I should really do.

Sorry I have not identifed the pop-up error message exactly, but I am trying
not to encounter the dreaded Excel shut-down ... Hopefully, I have identified
the error close enough so that those of you intimate with Excel & that
support this board will recognize the symptom.

My many "Thanks" to those of you supplying the many beneficial solutions to
these boards ... Kha

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You may have created an illegal name (somehow!).

Try changing from A1 reference style to R1C1 and then back to A1. If it is a
name problem, you'll be asked to provide a new name for the offending name(s).

In xl2003 menus:
tools|options|General tab
is where you'd find that reference style option.

--

Dave Peterson