Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FS FS is offline

Default fill in date into adjacent cell automatically

I creating a basic checklist in an Excel spread sheet and need advice on how
to fill a static date into the adjacent cell. e.g. when I type any caracter
into A2, I need the current date so fill in automatically into AB. The date
must not reset each time I open the work sheet. So far, I got this formula.
=IF(D7="?", NOW(), "")
However, I don't know what the ? mar should be in order to fill the date
into the adjacent cell by entering any character.
Will appreciate your support.
Thanks, FS.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

This question; well to me at least, is confusing. You refer to A2 changing
and putting a date in AB and in your example formula you refer to d7.

To enter a static date automatically you need VB. This will put the
date/time in the adjacent cell if any cell in column A is changed. Right
click your sheet tab, view code and paste the code in

If Target.Cells.Count 1 Or IsEmpty(Target) Then Exit Sub
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A:A")) Is Nothing Then
Application.EnableEvents = False

Target.Offset(, 1) = Now

Application.EnableEvents = True
Mike

question.

"FS" wrote:

I creating a basic checklist in an Excel spread sheet and need advice on how
to fill a static date into the adjacent cell. e.g. when I type any caracter
into A2, I need the current date so fill in automatically into AB. The date
must not reset each time I open the work sheet. So far, I got this formula.
=IF(D7="?", NOW(), "")
However, I don't know what the ? mar should be in order to fill the date
into the adjacent cell by entering any character.
Will appreciate your support.
Thanks, FS.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

NOW() is a volatile function and will update whenever calculation takes
place.

There are a couple of methods to create a static date pointed out on John
McGimpsey's site.

One uses circular references and worksheet function NOW()

Other uses VBA

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP