Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chi Chi is offline

Default Average

Hi,

I would like to average hours (h:mm format) on column J from cell 2 to cell
150
My formula for Average is =Average IF (J2:J150), "<0", but the result is
wrong.

Since there are many cells don't have any value yet, I would like to average
the cells have values only.

Thanks
Chi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Both ARRAY formula
If all your value are positive you can use this

=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J1500,J2:J150))

or if there could be negative values

=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J150<"",J2:J50))

This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

--
Mike

question.

"Chi" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to average hours (h:mm format) on column J from cell 2 to cell
150
My formula for Average is =Average IF (J2:J150), "<0", but the result is
wrong.

Since there are many cells don't have any value yet, I would like to average
the cells have values only.

Thanks
Chi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=SUMIF(J2:J150,"<0")/COUNTIF(J2:J150,"<0")

Format as desired.

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Chi" wrote in message

I would like to average hours (h:mm format) on column J from cell 2 to
cell
150
My formula for Average is =Average IF (J2:J150), "<0", but the result is
wrong.

Since there are many cells don't have any value yet, I would like to
average
the cells have values only.

Thanks
Chi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am assuming that you are using Excel 2007
try this

=AVERAGEIF(J2:J150,"<""")

for other Excel version, try this

=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J150<"",J2:J150,))

format the cell as h:mm
--
Hope this help

Please click the Yes button below if this post have helped answer your needs

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Chi" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to average hours (h:mm format) on column J from cell 2 to cell
150
My formula for Average is =Average IF (J2:J150), "<0", but the result is
wrong.

Since there are many cells don't have any value yet, I would like to average
the cells have values only.

Thanks
Chi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J150<"",J2:J150,))

That will evaluate empty cells as 0 and include those 0s in the average.

Try it like this...

Array entered:

=AVERAGE(IF(J2:J150<"",J2:J150))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Chi" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to average hours (h:mm format) on column J from cell 2 to
cell
150
My formula for Average is =Average IF (J2:J150), "<0", but the result is
wrong.

Since there are many cells don't have any value yet, I would like to
average
the cells have values only.

Thanks
Chi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chi Chi is offline

Hi Luke,

Thank you very much! the formula is wonderful.