Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Computed value returning#VALUE

I have a computed value
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,",",REPT(" ",255),2),FIND(",",U3)+1,255))
that pulls the date out of a string of text. In this case, the date is
returned because their is data in U3. However, when I have columns that do
not have data, it returns a #VALUE. Is there a way to get around this. The
column being referenced is also a computed value, so I am wondering if that
is the case.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this...

=IF(U3="","",TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,",",REPT("
",255),2),FIND(",",U3)+1,255)))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kennedy" wrote in message
I have a computed value
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,",",REPT(" ",255),2),FIND(",",U3)+1,255))
that pulls the date out of a string of text. In this case, the date is
returned because their is data in U3. However, when I have columns that do
not have data, it returns a #VALUE. Is there a way to get around this. The
column being referenced is also a computed value, so I am wondering if
that
is the case.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,"",REPT("",255),2),FIND("" ,U3)+1,255))

You had introduced commas and extra spaces in between "".
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Kennedy" wrote:

I have a computed value
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,",",REPT(" ",255),2),FIND(",",U3)+1,255))
that pulls the date out of a string of text. In this case, the date is
returned because their is data in U3. However, when I have columns that do
not have data, it returns a #VALUE. Is there a way to get around this. The
column being referenced is also a computed value, so I am wondering if that
is the case.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,",",REPT(" ",255),2),FIND(",",U3)+1,255))
You had introduced commas and extra spaces in between "".

No, the formula is correct.

They're extracting the substring that is between 2 commas. Something like
this:

text, date, more_text

The formula as written extracts "date".

My interpretation of the post is when the cell is empty then FIND will
return the error #VALUE!. So we need to test that the cell is not empty:

=IF(cell_ref="","",........

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Try this

"Kennedy" wrote:

I have a computed value
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(U3,",",REPT(" ",255),2),FIND(",",U3)+1,255))
that pulls the date out of a string of text. In this case, the date is
returned because their is data in U3. However, when I have columns that
do
not have data, it returns a #VALUE. Is there a way to get around this.
The
column being referenced is also a computed value, so I am wondering if
that
is the case.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks to both of you. Both worked well. Going to use the one that T. Valko
submitted.
Again...THANK YOU both...geniuses!

.