Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default automatic backup? 2007 version

With Word, I can to Options/Advanced/Save and choose to Always create backup
copy. Then, every time I resave a Word 2007 doc, I get the backup with a
..wbk file extension.

I just can't figure out how to do the same with Excel.

There is no comparable Options/Advanced/Save choices. I do see in Word the
AutoRecover option in Options/Save- though there is something weird about
that because it has for a default AutoRecover file location:
C:\Users\Joseph\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ but I can't find the
AppData folder unless it's hidden.

In the Excel help file- it has a description of how to "Automatically save a
backup copy of a workbook" but instead of describing how to do that- it
describes the AutoRecover feature. But, that's not what I want- I want to
see the actual backup file get created each time I resave an Excel file-
just like those Word .wbk files.

I'm obviously doing something stupid.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Joe,

In the Excel help file- it has a description of how to "Automatically save a
backup copy of a workbook" but instead of describing how to do that- it
describes the AutoRecover feature. But, that's not what I want- I want to
see the actual backup file get created each time I resave an Excel file-
just like those Word .wbk files.

For Excel, this is a workbook setting.

Open your file, select File, Save-as. On the save dialog, locate the Tools
button and select General options. On the subsequent dialog, check the box
"Always create backup"

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joe -

Maybe the following steps will do what you want for a specific workbook:

Office Button Save As Excel Workbook Tools dropdown General Options
Always create backup OK

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK, I get it- so it has to be done for each and every workbook- not as a
general rule that will work with all spreadsheets- the way I can have Word
make backups of every file. I now understand but I don't like it.
Joe

"Jan Karel Pieterse" wrote in message
Hi Joe,

In the Excel help file- it has a description of how to "Automatically
save a
backup copy of a workbook" but instead of describing how to do that- it
describes the AutoRecover feature. But, that's not what I want- I want to
see the actual backup file get created each time I resave an Excel file-
just like those Word .wbk files.

For Excel, this is a workbook setting.

Open your file, select File, Save-as. On the save dialog, locate the Tools
button and select General options. On the subsequent dialog, check the box
"Always create backup"

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Joe,

OK, I get it- so it has to be done for each and every workbook- not as a
general rule that will work with all spreadsheets- the way I can have Word
make backups of every file. I now understand but I don't like it.

You can set it up for one (empty) workbook and save it as a template in your
xlstart directory. Save that file as book.xltm or book.xltx and then all your
new files will have this setting applied.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com