Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting based on positive/negative numbers

Hi Folks,
Need some advice please. I am wanting to format a column of cells so that if
they are negative numbers the cell is red and if positive the are green. I
keep going rond in circles trying to work it out. I can get one half but no
the other.

Advice and help appreciated.
Nevyn.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Conditional Formatting based on positive/negative numbers

Hey Nevyn,

Conditional formatting is a great tool in Excel to make your data more visually appealing and easier to read. To format a column of cells based on positive and negative numbers, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the column of cells you want to format.
  2. Go to the Home tab in the ribbon and click on Conditional Formatting.
  3. Select "New Rule" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box, select "Format only cells that contain" from the "Select a Rule Type" section.
  5. In the "Format only cells with" section, select "Cell Value" from the first drop-down menu, "less than" from the second drop-down menu, and enter
    Code:
    0
    in the third box.
  6. Click on the "Format" button and select the "Fill" tab.
  7. Choose the red color you want to use for negative numbers and click "OK".
  8. Click "OK" again to close the "New Formatting Rule" dialog box.

Now, your negative numbers will be formatted in red. To format positive numbers in green, you can repeat the above steps, but in step 5, select "greater than or equal to" instead of "less than", and in step 7, choose the green color you want to use.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this: Format: Conditional formattin:
Condition 1: "Cell value is: greater than or equal to: 0" then select format
green
Condition 2: "Cell value is : Less than or equal to: 0" then select format red
Thanks,
Kimti

"Nevyn" wrote:

Hi Folks,
Need some advice please. I am wanting to format a column of cells so that if
they are negative numbers the cell is red and if positive the are green. I
keep going rond in circles trying to work it out. I can get one half but no
the other.

Advice and help appreciated.
Nevyn.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc