Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Puzzled about javascript interfering with functions and formatting

Our company has a large intranet website setup with a bunch of data in it and
it would really be nice to copy and paste from any of there sites into excel
and do stuff to the data. Sort by hire date, remove those pesky spaces I
don't want, etc. The problem (I guess) is javascript/java that was used to
make the webpage? You cut and paste into Excel and it can't do a darn thing.
No way to format (unless you rekey the data), No way for find and replace to
work (at all I think). What gives??? Is there something I'm missing.
Oh...the corp. gurus (haha) also setup a button to export to Excel (but guess
what??) HAHA...same stuff...just like cutting and pasting from the website.
Please help as I have no hair left to pull out :)
:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Start acquiring a set af macros to Trim and Clean your data.

Good start is David McRithchie's TRIMALL from

For dates you can generally get them to function properly by running through
DataText to Columns.

Don't forget the trick of formatting all "numbers" to General, then copying
an unused cell and Paste SpecialAdd to convert to real numbers.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:50:51 -0800, basstbone
wrote:

Our company has a large intranet website setup with a bunch of data in it and
it would really be nice to copy and paste from any of there sites into excel
and do stuff to the data. Sort by hire date, remove those pesky spaces I
don't want, etc. The problem (I guess) is javascript/java that was used to
make the webpage? You cut and paste into Excel and it can't do a darn thing.
No way to format (unless you rekey the data), No way for find and replace to
work (at all I think). What gives??? Is there something I'm missing.
Oh...the corp. gurus (haha) also setup a button to export to Excel (but guess
what??) HAHA...same stuff...just like cutting and pasting from the website.
Please help as I have no hair left to pull out :)
:)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Puzzled about javascript interfering with functions and format

YOU WIN ! :)

Thank you :) My other question is...why when I called Microsoft couldn't
they figure it out???

wrote:

Our company has a large intranet website setup with a bunch of data in it and
it would really be nice to copy and paste from any of there sites into excel
and do stuff to the data. Sort by hire date, remove those pesky spaces I
don't want, etc. The problem (I guess) is javascript/java that was used to
make the webpage? You cut and paste into Excel and it can't do a darn thing.
No way to format (unless you rekey the data), No way for find and replace to
work (at all I think). What gives??? Is there something I'm missing.
Oh...the corp. gurus (haha) also setup a button to export to Excel (but guess
what??) HAHA...same stuff...just like cutting and pasting from the website.
Please help as I have no hair left to pull out :)
:)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The answer to that is probably why MSFT touts MVPs like Gord as providing
"Independent Experts - Real world answers."

I would hazard a guess that Gord has encountered this type of situation
before and dealt with it personally, or else he's seen similar problems asked
about here and took a note of where to begin finding a solution.

wrote:

Our company has a large intranet website setup with a bunch of data in it and
it would really be nice to copy and paste from any of there sites into excel
and do stuff to the data. Sort by hire date, remove those pesky spaces I
don't want, etc. The problem (I guess) is javascript/java that was used to
make the webpage? You cut and paste into Excel and it can't do a darn thing.
No way to format (unless you rekey the data), No way for find and replace to
work (at all I think). What gives??? Is there something I'm missing.
Oh...the corp. gurus (haha) also setup a button to export to Excel (but guess
what??) HAHA...same stuff...just like cutting and pasting from the website.
Please help as I have no hair left to pull out :)
:)

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

Our company has a large intranet website setup with a bunch of data in it and
it would really be nice to copy and paste from any of there sites into excel
and do stuff to the data. Sort by hire date, remove those pesky spaces I
don't want, etc. The problem (I guess) is javascript/java that was used to
make the webpage? You cut and paste into Excel and it can't do a darn thing.
No way to format (unless you rekey the data), No way for find and replace to
work (at all I think). What gives??? Is there something I'm missing.
Oh...the corp. gurus (haha) also setup a button to export to Excel (but guess
what??) HAHA...same stuff...just like cutting and pasting from the website.
Please help as I have no hair left to pull out :)
:)

.

Gord is one of the star performers among MVP's!

Bill