Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Best solution for removing duplicate content with conditions?

Could someone tell me the best way to go about doing the following?

I am exporting an excel sheet from another piece of software. On this excel
sheet I have one column with a header called "Names" and a list of 600 names
below it. Each of those names are in their own row. I have a second column
next to the first that is labeled "Attn." It too has a list of names that are
each on their own row. The names that are listed in each column should be
different. However, after exporting from this other software to excel some of
the names are duplicated and I will have the same name listed in both columns
within the same row.

How can I tell excel....

If the content in the "Names" column is the same as the content within the
"Attn" column and both are in the same row then delete the content in the
"Attn" column in that row.

Is this possible for me to do in Excel?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could add a formula in C1:

=a1=b1
and drag down.

This will return TRUE if both values are equal.

Then you can filter by this column (add headers if you need to).

Show the TRUE's and delete the visible rows.

Then remove the filter and delete that helper column.

--

Dave Peterson