Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default TRUE: Would like it to appear as "True" in the cell.

Using Microsoft Excel 2007.

I am typing in a name 'True', but when I type the name it is capitalizing
the entire word 'TRUE'. I would like to capitalize only the first letter in
the name.

How do I achieve this using Excel? I believe Excel recognizes it as a formula.

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: TRUE: Would like it to appear as "True" in the cell.

  1. Type the word "True" in a cell.
  2. Select the cell and press F2 to enter edit mode.
  3. Place the cursor at the beginning of the word "True".
  4. Press the Shift key and then the F3 key. This will open the "Insert Function" dialog box.
  5. In the "Insert Function" dialog box, select the "PROPER" function and click OK.
  6. The PROPER function will automatically capitalize the first letter of the word "True".
  7. Press Enter to confirm the formula and display the capitalized word "True" in the cell.

Alternatively, you can use the following formula to capitalize the first letter of any text string in Excel:

Formula:
=PROPER("true"
Simply replace "true" with the text string you want to capitalize, and then enter the formula in the cell where you want the capitalized text to appear.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Either:
format the cell to Text prior to entry
or:
precede the value with an apostophe (single quote)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

"Lindsay" wrote:

Using Microsoft Excel 2007.

I am typing in a name 'True', but when I type the name it is capitalizing
the entire word 'TRUE'. I would like to capitalize only the first letter in
the name.

How do I achieve this using Excel? I believe Excel recognizes it as a formula.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Would like it to appear as "True" in the cell.

In Excel TRUE and FALSE are special values. They're called Boolean values or
logical values. They *are not text* entries. Excel makes it easy to spot the
difference by displaying the Booleans in all UPPERCASE and centered in the
cell.

To enter a *text* string True or False precede the entry with an apostrophe
like this: 'True, 'False. The apostrophe will not be displayed in the cell.
The apostrophe tells Excel that you want that entry to be explicitly
evaluated as a text string.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP