Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pol pol is offline

Default Wrong result is coming while adding tow figures

Hi all,
I wrote the following function . But in some time the result is showing
wrong format. When VarSum gets value 185.42 and ValueSum gets -185.42 the
result should be 0.

VarSum = VarSum + ValueSum
0= 185 + - 185 . But some cases Excel shows the balance as
8.5265128E-14.

Please help. I given the function below.

Sub CashBookMacrosnew()
Dim VarSum As Double
Dim ValueSum As Double
Dim VarSumOld As Double
Dim totalsum As Double

lastrow = Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
currow = ActiveCell.Row
pre_row = ActiveCell.Row
Col_A = ""

For RowCount = 1 To lastrow
If RowCount 1 Then
pre_row = RowCount - 1
If Range("A" & RowCount) < "" Then
VarSumOld = VarSum
VarSum = Range("R" & RowCount)
Range("Y" & pre_row) = VarSumOld
Else

ValueSum = (Range("R" & RowCount) + Range("S" & RowCount) + Range("T" &
RowCount) + _
Range("U" & RowCount) + Range("V" & RowCount) + Range("W" & RowCount) + _
Range("X" & RowCount))
VarSum = VarSum + ValueSum

Next RowCount

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The extremely small difference is caused by the inability of a digital system
to accurately represent all analog values.

If you're only interested in 2 decimal places, replace
VarSum = VarSum + ValueSum
with
VarSum = INT((VarSum + ValueSum) * 100)/100

"pol" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The problem has to do with computers way of converting digital numbers
(number using base 10) to binary (base 2) and is a well known problem - see
sites below. I am not sure what JLatham mean by "analog".
Excel (and most other apps) store number with 15 digit precision,

To avoid this: suppose your formula is =A1+A2, replace this by
=ROUND(A1+A2,10)
The 10 could be another value such as 6 or 12, depending on the precision of
you work
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

Chip's clear explanation
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm

Floating-point arithmetic may give inaccurate results in Excel
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/78113/en-us

(Complete) Tutorial to Understand IEEE Floating-Point Errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/42980

What Every Computer Scientist Should Know About Floating Point
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/rounding.htm

Visual Basic and Arithmetic Precision
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Others:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214118

Go to source web page

"pol" wrote in message
[...]

_
Range("X" & RowCount))
VarSum = VarSum + ValueSum

Next RowCount

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pol pol is offline

Many Thanks for the reply. Your formula is working but still have some prolem
with some figures. For example

When do the calculation for

12165.68
-1118.08
-660.55
-10.51
-59.80
-8.62
-10308.12

After applying that formula , the result is getting as 0.03 insetad of
0. Other values are correct.