Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default my question won't post

I don't know where to send this, but I have tried posting the same question 3
or 4 times over the last couple of days, and I get the notification that it
was submitted successfully, but it never shows up.

So we'll see if this one shows up :-)

mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This one made it!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"lawandgrace" wrote in message
I don't know where to send this, but I have tried posting the same question
3
or 4 times over the last couple of days, and I get the notification that
it
was submitted successfully, but it never shows up.

So we'll see if this one shows up :-)

mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I see all 3 of your psts titled "error msg on opening excel workbook" (as
well as the suggested answers). Did you try looking here?

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ang=e n&cr=US
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"lawandgrace" wrote:

I don't know where to send this, but I have tried posting the same question 3
or 4 times over the last couple of days, and I get the notification that it
was submitted successfully, but it never shows up.

So we'll see if this one shows up :-)

mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Okay, now I'm really confused. If I post under Excel General Questions and
then search for my post, nothing comes up. But if I go to the left column,
select Excel, then General Questions, it seems to bring up the most recent by
date and voila! there is my post.

Why won't it show up when I search for it though?

"lawandgrace" wrote:

I don't know where to send this, but I have tried posting the same question 3
or 4 times over the last couple of days, and I get the notification that it
was submitted successfully, but it never shows up.

So we'll see if this one shows up :-)

mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"lawandgrace" wrote:
Why won't it show up when I search for it though?

Because the MSDG web interface has defects. Simple as that.

All software has defects. (Notwithstanding Japanese claims to the
contrary.) The MSDG web interface seems to be more defective than others.

If you want a web interface, you might try Google Groups
(groups.google.com). It has different defects ;-). Seriously, the downside
is: in the past, GG sometimes failed to get postings that were submitted
using the MSDG web interface. I never understood why not. Those articles
did appear on the MSnews server, and GG gets its feed ultimately from MSnews.
I don't know if that still is a problem. It caused me to use the
alternative below, and I have not used GG for a couple years, with rare
exception.

Alternatively, you might be able to set up Outlook Express (Windows Mail in
Vista and later) to access the MSnews server directly. It, too, has
different defects ;-). But they are much less frequent, and they are usually
self-correcting eventually. However, recently some responses that I posted
using the MSDG web interface were readable using the MSDG web interface, but
they were not readable using the MSnews server. That is amazing only because
there were readable using GG; and as I said, GG gets its feed from MSnews.

The real problem with relying solely on the MSnews server is that it retains
postings for only 90 days (for m.p.excel* NGs, at least). You need to resort
to GG or MSDG in order to find older articles. Also, your ability to search
articles acquired from the MSnews server using OE (WM) is limited to what you
have in your cache. You need to understand the quirky way that OE (WM)
updates its cache (several different ways, with different consequences).

"lawandgrace" wrote:

I don't know where to send this, but I have tried posting the same question 3
or 4 times over the last couple of days, and I get the notification that it
was submitted successfully, but it never shows up.

So we'll see if this one shows up :-)

mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"lawandgrace" wrote:
Thanks Joe! Wow - MS has defects? LOL

Yeah, wonders never cease. :-) :-)

The real "surprise" for some people is that their favorite alternative -- GG
or the MSnews server -- has defects, too.

Had never experienced any problems before.

Problems with MSDG search are a common complaint in these NGs. I don't use
it much myself. But my experience has been that it is incomplete, at best.
Also, I don't like the fact that historical postings are presented seemingly
in random order.

Of all the NG interfaces, I like MSDG the least, and it seems to attract the
most reports of problems. The only reason that I use it nowadays is to
ensure that responses to articles posted using MSDG are seen in a timely
manner. Responses posted to the MSnews server directly (e.g. using OE or WM)
tend to take about 30-40 min to propagate to (get pulled by) the MSDG server.
And that's a good day.