Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can IFERROR be used in Excel 2003 Compatibility View?

Hi,

I've got an Excel 2007 sheet that contains the IFERROR function and would
like to share it with some people using Excel 2003. Will they be able to open
and edit the worksheet using the compatibility pack?

Regards.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No and Yes. I just tested this and what happens is that initially the file
opens in 2003 just fine and even looks good, but as soon as a cell is changed
that affects the cell with the =IFERROR() in it, that cell changes to a
#NAME! error display.

You'll see the formula entered this way in Excel 2003:
=_xlfn.IFERROR(A1/B1,"Cannot divide by zero")
note the _xlfn. in front of the function, indicating it's an Excel 2007
unique feature.

Now, you can "work around" this by rewriting it over in 2007 as
=IF(ISERROR(_xlfn.IFERROR(A1/B1,"Cannot divide by zero")),"EXCEL 2007
FEATURE UNAVAILABLE",_xlfn.IFERROR(A1/B1,"Cannot divide by zero"))

Which is a whole heck of a lot of work to deal with mixed-version users,
when you could have probably written the thing using one of the
2003-compatible error traps. For my example,
=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1,"Cannot Divide By Zero",A1/B1))
would work in all versions of Excel.

In this case
"Fabian" wrote:

Hi,

I've got an Excel 2007 sheet that contains the IFERROR function and would
like to share it with some people using Excel 2003. Will they be able to open
and edit the worksheet using the compatibility pack?

Regards.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to correct a parenthesis's placement...
=IF(ISERROR(A1/B1),"Cannot Divide By Zero",A1/B1)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M