Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding new folders for "Look In:" when selecting File - Open

How do I add new "places" in the File - Open panel specifically the "Look
In:" pre-selected locations? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Open the File|Open dialog
Traverse to the folder that you want to add
Click on Tools, then Add to my places

If you don't see see that option, share the version of excel you're using.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't believe you can. That dialog is actually controlled by your operating
system and not XL. XL just accesses that dialog using the Windows API. That
is why no matter what program you use the dialogs for open, close, SaveAs are
all the same. The OS controls storage and retrieval functions.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Big UT Fan" wrote:

How do I add new "places" in the File - Open panel specifically the "Look
In:" pre-selected locations? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I recently replaced my HDD and before I did that I
did have "My Favorites" in the "Look In:" section whereas I don't any longer.
Any idea how to get "My Favorites" to show up under Files-Open? If I can do
that it's a big help.

Thanks.

"Big UT Fan" wrote:

How do I add new "places" in the File - Open panel specifically the "Look
In:" pre-selected locations? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well I have never done that before... Obviously.

hanks Dave.

Note to the OP... that is not an XL specific setting. That is a modification
that affects the LookIn: globally.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

Big UT Fan wrote:

How do I add new "places" in the File - Open panel specifically the "Look
In:" pre-selected locations? Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In Excel 2003 go to FileOpen and browse to find My Favorites.

With that folder selected ToolsAdd to My Places.

In 2007 same thing except after browsing to My Favorites, right-click on the
My Places pane and "Add folder name"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Big UT Fan" wrote:

How do I add new "places" in the File - Open panel specifically the "Look
In:" pre-selected locations? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim

Keep an eye on this thread for replies to OP

I think OP is wanting to add to "My Places".

Gord

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:59:01 -0800, Jim Thomlinson
wrote:

I don't believe you can. That dialog is actually controlled by your operating
system and not XL. XL just accesses that dialog using the Windows API. That
is why no matter what program you use the dialogs for open, close, SaveAs are
all the same. The OS controls storage and retrieval functions.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jim,
Got that this is clearly a global setting versus an Excel setting but I
just wanted a solution. Definitely works for me...what does "OP" stand for
in relation to this forum?

Thanks, Mike