Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Help with validation functions

I am cutting information from one sheet and inserting cut cells into a second
sheet. When I do this, the drop down list set up for one of the columns,
doesn't work anymore. This used to work perfectly but for some reason it
isn't now. The empty cells below the "inserted cut cell" have the drop down
list arrow but when I insert the cut cell from the other sheet, it quits
working. Anybody have any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cookie S. wrote:
I am cutting information from one sheet and inserting cut cells into a second
sheet. When I do this, the drop down list set up for one of the columns,
doesn't work anymore. This used to work perfectly but for some reason it
isn't now. The empty cells below the "inserted cut cell" have the drop down
list arrow but when I insert the cut cell from the other sheet, it quits
working. Anybody have any suggestions?

Hi ,
Data Validation will not work when cells are pasted onto it.The dropdown
choice means that there must be a validation for those cells.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Data validation lists require the the source cells for the list be on the
same tab as the list itself. So when you copy the validation cells to a new
worksheet the list is lost as it is on the other worksheet. The way around
this is to use a named range for your source list. The named range gets
around the same sheet limitation of data validation lists...

Check out
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DefinedNames.aspx
looking at
Defined Names And Conditional Formatting And Data Validation

Use Insert | Name | Define to create named ranges
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson