Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default copying - linking - updating -

I am using excel 2000 and I want to copy parts of a sheet out of one workbook
to another sheet in another workbook including all Conditional formatting,
formulas and all cell formatting i.e. colours of cells etc. I want both
sheets to link together automatically so no matter which on I update they
will sync together and automatically update each other.

Is there an easy and quick way to do this??

If so could you please tell me step by step so it is easy to follow.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, there isn't an easy way to do this.

Excel pulls data from different cells very easily. But it doesn't push data
from one cell to another easily. And the formatting stuff makes it more
difficult.

And when the data is in two different workbooks, the complexity of a macro rises
significantly.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No easy way to do what you want.

Even a one-way formula-derived link does not copy any formatting, just
transfers data.

VBA would be required and a two-way link would be quite a bit more
difficult.

What is the purpose of having this two-way linking?

Perhaps there might be an alternative.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:10:01 -0800, rebecca
wrote:

I am using excel 2000 and I want to copy parts of a sheet out of one workbook
to another sheet in another workbook including all Conditional formatting,
formulas and all cell formatting i.e. colours of cells etc. I want both
sheets to link together automatically so no matter which on I update they
will sync together and automatically update each other.

Is there an easy and quick way to do this??

If so could you please tell me step by step so it is easy to follow.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

basically i have a spreadsheet full of information of everyone that works in
our company, rangeing from dates they started to dates reports due, DOBs,
addresses. Promotion dates. Pension dates, Course dates etc. I need
certain parts only to be accesable to certain admin people for updates and
the workbooks to update each other as there isnt one person who can check and
except each change.

If anyone knows of a way easy or hard and can take me through it step by
step id appreciate it.

wrote:

I am using excel 2000 and I want to copy parts of a sheet out of one workbook
to another sheet in another workbook including all Conditional formatting,
formulas and all cell formatting i.e. colours of cells etc. I want both
sheets to link together automatically so no matter which on I update they
will sync together and automatically update each other.

Is there an easy and quick way to do this??

If so could you please tell me step by step so it is easy to follow.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With no one person responsible for checking and accepting I think you are
setting yourself up for disaster.

Having separate but similar workbooks updating each other is an error-prone
method.

How secure does this need to be?

You can set up one workbook with protection so's only certain parts are
available to certain individuals.

This also would require VBA coding and internal security in Excel is only
marginally effective.

Gord