Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default automatic time formatting

In attempting to run mail merge with word, if the time format has the am / pm
in it, the contents of the cell are entered as a decimal. But if one can
enter the time as (9:15) the contents in the mail merge appear as they were
entered. trouble is that any time I enter a number such as above, it
automatically formats to (hh:hh:ss am/pm) how do i turn off the automatic
format! I have attempted to change the format to the custom (hh:mm)once the
extended time is in the cell, but though it is selected and entered, the
contents of the cell do not change. I have used excell mail merge for a long
time but this has never happened before! HELP!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I am not sure about this behavior - but I would suggest to use an
Helper-Column and then the formula: =TEXT(A1,"[h]:mm:ss") [for a time value
in cell A1]
During the Merge procedure - refer to col. B instead of A.
Micky