Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why my posting are not posted!

I am not sure why sometimes my postings are not posted! do you know why?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps because you are using Microsoft's unreliable web interface to the
newsgroup? Better to access the newsgroup directly, using a newsreader.
--
David Biddulph

"LABKHAND" wrote in message
I am not sure why sometimes my postings are not posted! do you know why?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"LABKHAND" wrote:
I am not sure why sometimes my postings are not posted!

Looks like the MS Discussion Groups web interface is having the same or
similar problem that it had once in Dec'09 and earlier this month. Postings
submitted through the MSDG server are getting out -- for example, using the
MSnews server, I see your m.p.e.programming postings submitted today at 7:21
and 7:20 am PST. But they do not appear using the MSDG web interface. I
suspect it broke again some time after 3:21 am today PST.

But you may not see an explanation until the MSDG server is fixed (again).
Kinda silly to use the same allegedly-broken method to post your question,
dontcha think?

In the future, if you have trouble with one method of posting, try another,
at least to ask "why?". The easiest for your to use might be Google Groups,
another web interface.

Alternatively, you could set up a news reader on your computer (e.g. Outlook
Express or Windows Mail) to access the MSnews server directly. That is
certainy harder to set up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Joe, can we please have some clear, explicit and step by step instructions as
to how to, "set up a news reader on your computer (e.g. Outlook Express or
Windows Mail) to access the MSnews server directly".

It seems obvious to me that people on this forum do not understand how to
achieve what you have suggested.

Sure the IT experts might know how to do it but there seem to be a number of
other people on this forum who do not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

"Joe User" wrote:

"LABKHAND" wrote:
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I got caught by the x_y_z "rule" the other day.

Gotta remember to not use that string in samples!

Remember, I posted a link in the private ng for reporting problems to the
thread where you describe that problem, no real meaningful replies. A couple
of "yeah, it's been reported before".

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Joe User" <joeu2004 wrote in message
"LABKHAND" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"T. Valko" wrote:
I got caught by the x_y_z "rule" the other day.

[...]
A couple of "yeah, it's been reported before".

No kidding! Since we all have used x-and-y-and-z in examples many times
over the years, I think we can say with impunity that this is a relatively
new problem. (Where "new" is more than 4 months ago, but probably less than
a year ago, off the top of my head.)

In any case, the current problem with the MSDG server (which appears to be
fixed, at least for now ;-) has nothing to do with the x-and-y-and-z
problem.

It has to do with the problem that I described in the thread "FYI: MSDG not
displaying posts" less than 2 weeks ago (it seems like so much longer ago),
which is similar to the problem that you reported some time in Dec, as I
recall vaguely.

(I cannot find the Dec(?) discussion, even with a Google Groups search. I
vaguely recall that the initial incident was just after Thanksgiving -- Nov
26 in the US; and it occurred again within a couple weeks of that.)

Simply put.... The MSDG web interface obviously accepts and pushes new
postings to the MSnews server, since they appear on the MSnews server as
well as on other NG servers, e.g. Google Groups. But the MSDG server fails
to store and/or retrieve those new postings itself.

As to why this keeps happening periodically, that's anyone's guess. I have
my own educated WAGs. But they're worth the paper their printed on :-).