Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to lock the selected cells in 2007

i unable to lock the particular selected cells,, if i select protect work
sheet entire sheet gets locked... my rquirement is only lock the particular
selected cell
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

unlock all of them, lock the ones you want and then protect the sheet.

--

Gary Keramidas
Excel 2003

"Ashickur" <Ashickur @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
i unable to lock the particular selected cells,, if i select protect work
sheet entire sheet gets locked... my rquirement is only lock the particular
selected cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

All cells are locked by default, but locking does not mean anything until you
protect the worksheet from ToolsProtection menu.

--Hit Ctrl+A to select all cells. From menu FormatCellsProtection uncheck
'Locked'
--Now select the cells to be locked and check 'locked' from
FormatCellsProtection uncheck 'Locked'
--Now go to Tools-Protection-Protect Sheet, and you can assign a password
(optional)

--
Jacob

"Ashickur" wrote:

i unable to lock the particular selected cells,, if i select protect work
sheet entire sheet gets locked... my rquirement is only lock the particular
selected cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Let me assume that I wish to protect the following range of cells D 83 to D
85 (inclusive) in a particular worksheet.

In EXCEL 2007 take the following action:-

1. Highlight all the cells in your Worksheet by clicking in the box to the
left of A and above 1 in the top left hand corner.

This should cause your Worksheet to become highlighted.

2. Hit Ctrl-1 to launch Format Cells.

3. Protection tab.

4. Remove the green tick from the box called:-

Locked

- then hit OK.

5. Highlight cells D 83 to D 85 inclusive in your Worksheet.

This should cause those cells to become highlighted.

6. Ctrl-1 to launch Format Cells once more.

7. Protection tab.

8. Place a green tick from the box called:-

Locked

- then hit OK.

9. Home / Cells group / Format / Protect Sheet / place a password in the box
called:-

Password to unprotect sheet

(I have used password called test).

At this point there are 3 cells on this window that should have a green tick
in them. They a-

Protect worksheet and contents of locked cells

Select locked cells

Select unlocked cells

After you have entered your password hit OK and then put the password in
again in the box called:-

Reenter password to proceed.

- and then hit OK.

Save the file at this point if required.

10. Close and re-open the file.

Now try to amend any of the cells D 83 to D 85 in the Worksheet and you will
not be able to.

11. Now try to amend any other cells (apart from D 83 to D 85) and you will
be able to amend them.

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks!

"Ashickur" wrote:

i unable to lock the particular selected cells,, if i select protect work
sheet entire sheet gets locked... my rquirement is only lock the particular
selected cell

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In EXCEL 2007 take the following actions:-

Formulas / Defined Names group / Name Manager (pop up window of the same
name should launch) / in here you will find your range names / select the one
you want to change by clicking on it / Edit . . . / change as desired and hit
OK.

Thanks.